Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newhope01

Meth addict father accusing me of elder abuse

As a bit of a back story:

I have been living at my father's home since I have graduated from college back in 2008. I share the home with my adult brother and my husband. We all chip and pay bills, etc because he is unable to do so by himself. I am pregnant and am in my third trimester.

My father is a heavy meth user and has been all of my life (I'm 33 years old). He is also disabled and elderly at the age of 67. Due to his addiction he is unstable and suffers intense emotional mood swings. Often when he is starved for attention he will pick "fights" with people living in the household. Recently, I have been the target.

He has made it clear he is quite unhappy with my pregnancy and has suggested an abortion was a better option. We have not been on speaking terms. I was not shocked or upset at his response because he was a lackluster father himself. He likes to blame me and my brother for the way his life turned out. I personally like to blame his decisions to use meth for ruining his life.

Last Monday we got into a serious verbal altercation. Shouting and yelling, using profanity, etc. He "punched" me in the face during the shouting match. I did not hit him. I did however have a notebook in my hand which I put up in front of his face blocking our view of each other. My husband witnessed the whole debacle.

I went outside and calmed down on the porch. I contemplated calling the police but when I say he "punched" me, its important to remember he is elderly and disabled. He tried to inflict damage but was ineffectual. I felt like reporting it was an attempt to be vindicative and would not resolve the issue.

We made "peace" shortly after the incident. After I left for work he told my brother and my aunt that I had hit him. He referred to me and my husband as "vultures" and that we are irresponsible for bringing a child into poverty. My husband with hurt feelings demanded we move instantly but I reminded him of our financial situation (he is unemployed) and I don't make enough money to qualify to rent an apartment here in California. We do intend to move out as quickly as possible but its not going to happen overnight and Im hoping for by the end of the year.

Well, to make matters more complicated, my father also told his medical doctor that I had hit him instead of him hitting me. Being that I am also a mandated reporter I understand why the doctor was required to report the incident and now a social worker will be visting the household to investigate the charges.

I am quite frustrated and am sick of this behavior. I want to tell the social worker about my father's drug abuse when they come to visit. I am hoping this will push him against a wall and force him to get treatment. However, I also have concerns about the impact that would have on me and my unborn child.

My main concerns at this point are, what will happen to me? What will happen to my unborn daughter? Will I now be flagged as some kind of abuser? Will they take my child? What is my future going to be like now trying to raise my child? What options are available to me?

I really appreciate anyone's experiences, support, or advice.