Thread: Ramble
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Spider

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
Nietzche explores at great length the idea of finding value and meaning in a life without Christianity as the bedrock of value.

Basically he arrives at the conclusion that a person should set their focus - and the energy of living - toward some goal or achievement that is lofty and virtuous. The goal should be defined by the individual. The attainment of the goal is what makes the struggle and pain of life worth living through. Eccentricities and flaws in character are to be expected along the way - especially the more intense the goal and the path to get there - and can be forgiven in the context of the value of the goal and work being done to achieve the goal. The herd will always encourage and push to the average. But to live and make life worth living we should leave the herd and push toward the exceptional... not just for the good of the individual, but for the good of our species.

I happen to be at a place in my sobriety where I'm struggling a bit with reconciling the time I wasted and the damage I did to my sense of self - to the values I am now trying to define and live by. I feel as though I am a hopeless hypocrite at times - especially when I look at the record of my past.

But I always seem to end up at the same place - that regardless of my past or my failings there's no utility in allowing them - or fear - to dictate my way forward. Only the goals I have set for myself are worthy of providing direction, the rest I have to learn to manage the best I can.

Your post is well timed for some of the reflection and issues I've been thinking about and experiencing. Thanks.

-B
Nice. Of all the philosophers I have read, Nietzsche has been among the most thorny for me, largely due to the eccentricities you mention. Decoded, they simply mean lie to yourself...be your own superman. this was a benchmark I could never support...my own devil's bargain revolving around virtue. As with many great minds (often arguing against one another over the centuries) there is ample value found in most, and I do not mean to be strident, but I just couldn't ever make the jump into that sort of cognitive dissonance as inconvenient as it has repeatedly been. Thanks too as I have been reflecting on these issues lately too