View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vinificent
Reality...what a concept!

Hi Charli - personally I have to tackle things one at a time or I don’t follow through completely, so dealing with my alcohol addiction had to take a precedence before I could focus on anything else. There are others who have successfully treated all of their addictions and poor habits simultaneously, but personally this only made for worse binges. Once I achieved abstinence from alcohol I am now able to focus on developing healthy eating habits and improving my environment, which I could never do while in active alcoholism.

So if you want to tackle quitting smoking at the same time and you are constitutionally able to do so - great! But if abstaining from alcohol is the primary focus of your plan and you find trying to fix everything at once too overwhelming, perhaps you can tweak your plan to focus on abstaing from alcohol, then “graduate” to quitting smoking, eating better - whatever else you are looking to accomplish.

As for the holidays- the best advice I can give is Be Prepared. Bring your own favorite beverage, and don’t be afraid to cut your visit short if you start to feel uncomfortable.