Old 10-28-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
August252015

Some really good expression of concerns above. Just to add one comment to the "early sobriety" discussion - I too described myself as in early recovery til probably close to my second year. At 2 yr going on 9 mo, I have only recently come to be accepting of my solid program as I see how it is ingrained in me, because I work it diligently. It makes me very nervous for people when, for example, they are featured in articles about sobriety in the restaurant business and they are one year, even less than 5 years, sober. I work with a recovery group in the industry and addiction is a huge problem, and happily more and more high profile and local profile chefs and owners are going public with their stories - but it's the ones with years of recovery PLUS cognizance of the daily reprieve (how AA describes it, so whatever way someone expresses it) we get.

Just like I would be wary - and truthfully, would NOT have - of dating someone in early recovery (theirs or mine) I would be acutely aware of working for or partnering with anyone in that stage. It doesn't mean I don't think they are on the right path. And as I am in AA, taking someone else's inventory on that or anything else isn't my business. I would put my concerns and decisions under the umbrella of making the next right choice for my own good.

There is a whole lot that we encounter in sobriety! You know that well, less, and are on a good path now as far as I can merely observe. I have learned to trust my intuition, gut, whatever you call it, more and more as I go along.

Good luck and decision making with this new opportunity. Glad you are here to share and ponder as you need to!