View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gratefulday

Alcohol Obsession/Culture

Hey everybody,

Back at this again…I’m sure I’m late to the party with this, but I’m figuring out I’m not physically addicted to booze, I’m mentally addicted to it. The thinking about it constantly…I’m learning that the first drink is pretty much just to alleviate the obsession so I can think about something else, not because I really want it. I think that is the real relief associated with it. I completely agree that booze changes your brain chemistry and makes it focus on alcohol, but here’s the other thing: how often are we subjected to alcohol on a daily basis? Why do I think about it so much? Why can’t I just focus on the birds/trees/literally anything else?

So recently before I left for work one day, I took a notebook and every time I saw a reference to alcohol, I made a note. From driving down the road, to sitting in my office, to listening to music, there were 50 references in 9 hours. The first being at 8:50 in the morning, the last at 6:03pm simply because I stopped counting. Advertisements on trucks, buildings, references in songs, commercials, ads for bars, Facebook, Youtube ads….literally once every 10.8 minutes life tapped me on the shoulder and said “don’t forget about alcohol.” No wonder it is so difficult to stop obsessing over it, it’s inescapable in our society. Unavoidable. Pretty sobering considering how large of a component obsession is in addiction. I have come to the conclusion that in order to escape the prevalence of alcohol in society, it is imperative to believe more than anything in the world, that alcohol has no value whatsoever.

I just wanted to chime in…I appreciate everyone on here and pray blessings for you all.