Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Sherella

I think the reason we need a higher power for this "disease" is because it cloaks a more formidable foe then any of us have the strength by ourselves to do battle with. I keep my sanity by reading God's word everyday, it gives me enough strength to make it to tomorrow, instead of focusing on him, me, and all the problems that just keep reinventing themselves.

I've learned that alcohol is a diversion, it is constantly throwing up new obstacles that demand time and energy, it thrives on pain, it is the keeper of obsession, it draws one further and further away from reality and deeper into the pits of depression, God's word does the opposite, it draws you away from yourself, away from your pain, and gives you a reason for seeking a better meaning to your life. It rumages around in your heart and finds joy in the mundane.

The first time I went to al anon they said my husband was killing himself and he was going to die, I thought they were terribly rude and never went back, but they were right, he is killing himself, he is dying, unless there's a miracle in his life I am watching him unravel day by day. I don't know what's harder knowing that he choose this path to follow, or watching as each day takes another piece of him away without him even knowing, anymore. What I do know is that when the bad times come, don't hesitate to call on God, he'll be your provider, your friend, your comforter, in any situation. I am saying this because I constantly found myself alone, I needed friends, I needed support, I needed validation,I needed to know that I wasn't alone, but I wasn't in a situation where these were easily assessable, thats when I started reading the bible and thats when I started gaining the ability to deal with my situation in a much better way.