View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
OneDayOneHour

This post just hit home. Yesterday was day 75 for me and I went to a girls dinner last night with old friends and the wine was flowing. This is only the second social occasion I’ve attended since I quit drinking (although they all know I’ve quit.)

I started off feeling great and confident in my new sober skin but by the end of the evening those little doubts were surfacing - that maybe one day I can have a glass of wine and be a normal drinker, that I can be on the same mental plane as everyone else instead of being the stone cold sober one.

I actually didn’t even want to drink in the moment, it was just the idea of ‘maybe one day’. But it scares the crap out of me that I can start thinking that way so easily. I’m afraid that from those thoughts will come the actions that will lead me back to where I started 75 days ago. I am so grateful to wake up clear headed today on day 76 but the those doubts still lingered this morning so, like my normal morning routine, I came to SR to read posts for the positive reinforcement. I searched a random page number in the newcomers forum and found this thread. It was exactly what I needed and I just wanted to bump it up so others who may need it can read it too.

Dee, i know your original post was from a long time ago but the insights really knocked some sense into me. I’m on the right path for me and what is right for other people is irrelevant to what’s right for me. I will never, ever regret not drinking, the opposite cannot be said. So I just want to say a big thank you for sharing what you’ve learned. There is no doubt in my mind that I could not have gotten this far without SR and you are a huge part of that. You are helping people change their lives for the better, as your insights have certainly helped me on many an occasion during these 75 days. Thank you, thank you for doing what you do!!

And also, Hevyn, I really want to thank you too for your kindness. I love reading your posts because the kindness comes through and it has uplifted me in many moments when I’ve felt so low. Thank you!!