Thread: My Introduction
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Guener

My Introduction

Hello Everyone, I am new to this site but have been in recovery since 2015. My journey into recovery has involved a variety of inputs, including medical detox from alcohol, inpatient time, outpatient care, individual and group therapy, AA, and a lot of self-discovery. Along the way I have experienced minor lapses and more significant relapse a time or two. I last took a drink five months ago but drank very heavily (daily) for 35 years, and I have been through all the mishaps that befall the alcoholic.

I would be remiss not to mention that I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder. I take two medications for my depression that have helped me a lot to feel better and to stay sober longer. I stay away from the benzos as any medical intervention for the anxiety but use Cognitive Behavorial Therapy techniques to manage it fairly well, sometimes really well. As I mentioned, I have had therapy with that includes substance abstention as a primary goal. Overall, I have been feeling very well over the past months.

I also have Crohn's Disease that has caused me some physical and mental stress for over twenty years.

I come to you as a person seeking strength in solidarity and to share my experiences, to learn from others, and to continue my recovery the best that I can. I am open to helpful criticism and am empathetic toward others. Perhaps I can add a little something to this community.