View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
August252015

Welcome.

I think one of your questions is whether it's a good idea to put recovery over any job? If so, then I think yes.

When I decided to quit drinking for good, everything had to come second or further down the list. Everything. It was scary at certain points. I am in the restaurant world and when I supported myself over my ten years of increasingly devastating drinking, I did it as a server.

I was very sick when I quit and it was six weeks or so til I got a job again. It was at Chick Fil A, an Atlanta based fast food place with a very positive work culture. I made half or less of what I did as a server but it was a safe, good place to be newly sober. At five and a half months I went back to the server world for a year. I made that decision carefully and it was a good one as I turned out to have a long time sober boss and another mgr friend who knew of my sober journey from the start.

I (along with my husband) have made a number of decisions, including me not working at all for a period of time (3-4 mo then another similar period after a serious back injury) that were based on what was best for my sobriety and with joint agreement about money.

There are more details, but I absolutely believe making these choices first for my literal sobriety then increasingly for my emotional sobriety were all the right choices. Now I work for a company with an amazing work culture, and I got to an office position through jumping at the chance to lead the Atlanta chapter of an industry recovery group ur owner started.

Everyone has a different situation . I truly believe that putting my sobriety above any job, relationship, situation, etc is always the right choice for me.