View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by Al31 View Post
Hey guys,

So on day 12 - had to just work that out.

Actually doing really well. Cravings have decreased, mood is much better. Basically from waking up till i get in bed is good 90% of the time.

But when i get in bed the thought of death brings a huge way of anxeity over me. Ive been through phases in the past with this. But i think sobriety has triggered this period.

It's the thought of dying and there being no afterlife. And also how quick life seems to be going. I'm 33 now.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this will be much appreciated :-)
That was one of the biggest things for me when I stopped drinking, too. I've always a been a secular/atheist/existentialist. It's hard to imagine not existing when I've existed my whole life. Those thoughts of dissolution were buried by alcohol but being sober I'm forced to confront them.

Research has shown that acetominophen actually reduces existential dread. Seems like kicking the can down the road but it could help. Humanity has been grappling with the concepts of death and mortality for hundreds of thousands of years so I doubt I can offer anything novel. But I just try to dwell on living in the moment and living my best life. Also I try to be a good person, even when no one is looking. If I can leave the world better than I found it then I've made my mark.