View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Aliceiw

So I promised I'd let you know what happened with my Kava experience. I did try it, and I have mixed feelings. Anything that promises pain relief, anxiety relief and a good night's sleep is worth a try in my book.

I can see how kava might be helpful in getting through the first few days of sobriety. It definitely is very relaxing and even a bit sedating. It makes the limbs feel a bit heavy and seemed to slow down my heart-rate and thoughts without making me feel like I was losing focus. And I did have a truly great night of sleep.

On the downside, the stuff tastes terrible. If you've ever tried a valerian root tincture, it's very similar to that. In fact, it seems very similar to valerian overall. It's bitter and made my mouth and throat numb but not in a frightening way. It looks and tastes like what you'd find in a mud puddle after a rainstorm. Yuck.
In addition, there is some controversy about whether it is toxic to the liver. From what I've read, blends that are made from only the root of the plant are not harmful, but those made with the stem and leaves mixed in have reportedly harmed people. The problem, of course, is that because it isn't standardised, it's hard to tell exactly what you're getting.

I definitely didn't feel like it was something that would reanimate my wish to drink. And it isn't something I would use regularly, but I am glad to have another tool in the insomnia-combat toolbox. I'd definitely try kava again on a sleepless night. It beats the heck out of turning to wine or vodka.