View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Incognito1

Day 3

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for everyone’s encouragement and advice, etc. I kind of had an epiphany on what might help me at least get started, so I came up with a plan, kind of a long story. Then, I saw my alcohol counselor Thursday, and went to a trusted friend who’s been sober 15 months now to get some advice or just open up to someone who’s “been there”. Long story short I’ve been sober two days, going on 3. 9/19 was my last...drinks haha It’s incredible to me how much of an accomplishment that feels like. It’s one of those things that no one can understand unless they’ve “been there” how big a deal or how proud you are of yourself. Some good advice my friend and counselor gave was that you have to take it one day at a time. She said even if it was something we enjoyed, if someone said you had to do it for the rest of your life it’d be overwhelming. So that’s my focus. One day at a time, nothing else. Also I’m feeling really positive and trying not to obsess over, “ok so when’s my really hard day coming?” It’s such a mental game! I feel like my tough day will be today. I love beer, and we’re headed to the Highland games. I’m off to take my naltrexone, and give myself a big pep talk. Thanks guys!
Also, I’ve been experiencing jerky movements, not just twitches. Anyone else get that? Does it go away?

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
I am similar in that i am married, working and "functional". My wife is a heavy drinker though and in her mind i am able to control my drinking. Its kind of funny as the only time i drink close to moderately is when I've vowed to quit, and my drinking is in fact a relapse. When i try to moderate, i end up binging. Goes to show you cant read minds. My "control" is really me hanging on the edge of a cliff.

Everyones terminal dosage is different, and permanent damage is, by defination, permanent. I have fatty liver and a proven track record that i cant drink. Potentially reveraable, but it also can turn to cirrohsis. Theres a quote on here floating around that roughly goes "theres no problem that a drink cant make worse" If you think you have a problem drinking, you likely have a problem drinking. It has nothing to do with anyone but yourself and what you want from your life

Welcome!