Thread: 145 Days
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Helianthus View Post
I'm a couple of days behind you and have had a slump myself, I don't do AA and I don't know what step 5 is but are you pushing it too hard and going too fast maybe? I get a bit burned out sometimes trying to be the better, sober person I want to be. I'm at the stage now where I don't think about drinking every day anymore so I just take a few days off, I don't come here, I don't read sober lit or watch anything addiction related.

It sounds like you need to ease up a bit and give yourself a break, what's the point in AA /all this work if you get so frustrated it makes you want to drink?
Helianthus, good points here. Step 4 is making a list of all people we have harmed, step 5 is becoming willing to make amends to them all. We don't actually make them yet, we accept that we are willing to(step 9 is making them). It is very emotional and getting to step 5 is huge because 4 can be so overwhelming for many of us that it is a common point of relapse.

But this stage doesn't have to be- like I said, I needed to trust the progress I had made and could keep making, and with my sponsor and other friends' help, keep going at a speed I could.