View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had terrible hangovers. After a four day ninge my body was wrecked, I couldn't eat, felt like death for a few days. I have been hopsitalised with people having withdrawals, and that was a completely different ball game. You can die of siezures/convulsions in withdrawals. I never had either.

A friend of mine used to drink with me on these benders. He had major blackouts that used to kick in after the first 4 or 5 drinks. He would be as drunk as me, and barely remeber anything about it. At the end of the bender, no hangover, it didn't bother him at all. We often cooked a big meal on the first days sober because we felt very hungry. I could eat a couple of mouthfuls, he would clean his plate. I used to think he was lucky, but he still drinks that way today, and I don't.

The allergy isn't a bad analogy. As AA says,"It interests us" because the theory explained much about which we could not otherwise account. There is no doubt we have an abnormal reaction to alcohol. When ordinary drinkers get the "enough" signal, we get the "need more" one.

It wasn't an AA theory by the way. It was a hypothesis put forward by Doctor William Silkworth in a letter to Alcholics Anonymous which has been and continues to be published as "The Doctor's Opinion" in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. It never was AA's opinion, and therefore not AAs to withdraw.