Old 09-13-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Good luck with the benzos Hope. I was fortunate not to get into them myself but I have seen other struggle. It seems a lot tougher than alcohol, and just as dangerous.

I heard a psycholigist say something the other day. It was in a different context, but he mentioned a number of drugs that treat anxiety, benzo was one, and alcohol was another.

I thought about that and remembered how a few drinks would give me "dutch courage", the ability to overcome certain fears, like the fear of rejection. It might work on other fears too, but then it created its own fears, often unidentified. One time I was holed up in a friends house. It was a work day, but I hadn't been to work for a few days. My father turned up, looking for me. I had all the curtains pulled. He knocked on the windows, the door, called my name, and I was cowering behind the couch absolutely petrified, shaking like a leaf. And that was connected with someone who cared about me.

I suppose the fear was there at the start, the booze fixed it for a time, then it came back worse than ever. It wasn't entirely related to my drinking, it was more a symptom of my inability to function in the world. Treating the symptom with alcohol, or anything else, never fixed the underlying problem.

I have heard it said that faith is the answer to fear and that all men of faith have courage. Another little saying I like is" courage is fear that has said its prayers".

It appears that what I needed was a faith that worked. Faith in myself was poorly founded as experience showed, but with some work and willingness I did manage to find a faith that worked. It fixed a few other things that were probably driving the fear, and as the cause left, so did the need to drink.