View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
entropy1964

I'm glad you are trying to quit again. Don't give up.

AA is a great resource. I have learned a tremendous amount about how to 'cope' with life without alcohol. How to deal with emotions. How not to be so impulsive and reactive.

But will AA 'keep' me sober? No. Nothing will keep me sober. If a higher power is something you can truly have faith in, then work the steps and do everything they tell you to do. I think folks with that faith can really benefit. If God isn't the answer, then that leaves all the responsibility to refuse the first drink with you.

Its either you or its faith in your higher power. But you have to want to be sober so badly that you are 100% willing to go through the massive change it takes to stay sober. That means not drinking even when life sucks. I know, that's the hard part. But the sucky part is just part of life. And you can do that sober. Get through it and you'll see. You'll come out on the other side of a tough time and think 'ok, I can do this'. If you keep drinking 'over' and 'at' everything that happens, you will never learn that you have options.