View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
elizabeth1979
Acting not reacting

emotions and actions

I have been thinking alot lately about how emotions effect our actions and while feelings arent fact they do often initiate pretty concrete consequences to actions completely a result of those feelings.

I was standing in line today at the courthouse to get my ballot that never arrived in the mail. I take my number of 63 and wait in line. Well, it had been about an hour into it when and a woman comes up to the counter and is furious bc her number came and went and she had been passed up. She hadnt heard her number called and she was skipped.

She began insulting the clerks and on and on and indicated rather loudly that she wanted her ballot right away. This progresses into screaming and she was removed from the Election office in the courthouse by sheriffs.

This is a prime example of the sort of thing that happens when I let my emotions get the best of me and with disregard to common sense. While she likely had a good reason for flipping out over a replacement ballot, nobody else could see that. They saw her insanity.

When I react in an out of control manner, people only see my insanity. I need to spend more time thinking about the logical consequence of my unbridled emotion instead of the consequence of the alcoholics behavior.

My consequences of unbridled emotions should be more important to me than consequences of anyone elses emotions or actions.