Old 09-07-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I'm struggling with the logic here. Cravings that you are aware of because they are powerful have the distinct advantage of making you aware. You can see the enemy so to speak, so you can take the action.

Being aware that the craving as a bad thing to be fought off doesn't happen in a vacuum. The thoughts that make it a bad thing must be rooted in the memories of what happened before. Surely those memories are the motivator to resist.

Apart from when I had started drinking, I don't recall ever having cravings of this nature. There never was any resistance and that was because the memories ahd vanished from my consciousness. The craving may well have been there and was obviouly powerful because I was unable to resist, but it was so subtle as the thought "A drink would be nice". The reasonable countering thought "Not such a good idea" never presented itself, let alone the truth that the whole idea was insane.

The memories that should have motivated me to resist were easily overpowered by the memories of the good times in the distant past, and any resistance just evaporates.