View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aliciagr

Family life without alcohol has always been wonderful. That's why I get so upset about alcohol being part of the situation. When alcohol isn't present, work is excellent, we eat dinner together, we watch our little shows at night (I love HGTV), and my husband and I are intimate. When alcohol IS involved, work suffers, intimacy suffers, and there is a lot of resentment.

My life is what *I* make it. I'm learning that. I'm pretty proud of the therapy I'm receiving because I have social anxiety. It's kind of a big deal for me to go and talk to people and be out there in the mix. Most days I am perfectly content to stay home and be in my own space. Some days I get a wild hair and go shopping.

Our church's fall classes just started and I signed up for a Wednesday night Bible Study with my husband as well as a Tuesday morning Women's Study. The Women's Study is going to be a challenge for me because of the social anxiety thing, but I am so tired of my life being hindered by something so silly that I'm just going to try and push through it. I'm what a lot of people would call an extroverted introvert. I can talk and be outspoken, but on the inside I'm secretly dying to just be alone in my own controlled environment.
Thank you for sharing ! You have a lot going on and Im sorry there has been so much turmoil. But your post has very positive outlook in ways you are making strides forward to more peace and calm.

Several things I can relate to in your post. My husband actually did physically cheat on me when he was binging. It was a lot of hard work to recover from this, but I think Ive moved past it now BECAUSE not only did I work on my emotions, but we worked on the marriage together. Our marriage has always been good when alcohol and drugs were not in the mix. I think it helped us create a path forward when we were in crisis mode. We did individual, and family therapy, also got back into our church because we too are Christians. We talked to the pastor and also did counseling through him which was a very good experience for both of us. Thought Id mention it because I didn't think about it until my parents suggested it.

Hope all goes well for your family. Very scary what was going on with your daughter and her dad.