Old 09-01-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by Nonfiction1 View Post
Good morning everyone! I hope all is well! I am 21 days sober today! Weekends have been the toughest days for me. I've started planning my weekends out on Thursdays to keep myself busy. Its been working well. And I haven't had the "case of the Monday's" since getting sober either!

This will be a tough weekend to get through. I lost my brother to a heart attack recently and today is his funeral. And then I have a birthday party later. My brother's passing is one of the reasons I chose to quit drinking. I'm not getting any younger.

I've been journaling my recovery every day, and I see that one of my big triggers is emotions. As I read through these threads I see that its perfectly normal to feel sad and scared. I've told myself that I am not sure if I'm emotionally ready to deal with saying goodbye to my brother without a drink in my hand. But I can't not go to his funeral. I don't have to go to the birthday party, which I don't think I will.

If anyone has any suggestions, inspiration, motivation for me, I appreciate it! I was so excited to reach 21 days sober I don't want to start at day 1 again and go through the withdrawals again. I know that should be enough of a reason, but my mind is messing with me.

Thanks for everything all!
I am so sorry to hear about your brother, nonfiction!

Funerals can be a real challenge but it is absolutely possible to get through them without a drink. Remind yourself often that you are proud of your sobriety; remind yourself that numbing the grief only delays and prolongs the grieving process; remind yourself often of the special, courageous and life-changing endeavor which you are undertaking.

Bring your own non-alcoholic beverage and have it always in hand.

Keep SR close, too. There is always someone here.