Old 08-31-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Hello,

I'm so glad you're here and posting. The biggest thing for me when I finally got sober after many failed attempts was I really, really, really wanted sobriety. I did not want to continue to wake up feeling lousy, and manage to get through the day anymore. I wanted to fully enjoy every part of the day.

I started with SR, and a counselor, I now just use SR daily to check in, and also to offer support to others, I still find reading and posting here daily very helpful. Exercise and getting outdoors in nature daily have also been part of my recovery, there is something therapeutic about just being in nature. Finally, mindfulness has been a key for me. I have used different techniques to help me grounded in the present. I do not dwell on the past, and if I feel myself starting to I will listen to a mindfulness video on YouTube, or in an app. I also don't worry about the future, I plan for it, but try hard not to stress.

It truly is about getting up each day and making the decision that you are not going to drink that day. I am now closer to three years, than two and it is very rare that alcohol even pops into my mind, and when it does the thought is fleeting.

You can do this, but it really has to start with you wanting it, and I promise you sobriety is absolutely worth it!!

❤️Delilah