View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MantaLady
Ocean Lover!

I felt the same as you earlier this year Wildflower. I thought about going travelling and also taking 6 months out. I have been “traveling” on and off for the last 10 years every time I felt like this but like most have eluded to, my problem never went away, it followed me or was fine while I was travelling but as soon as I got back to real life the same old problem returned.

6 months ago I was tired, and I mean really tired! I was depressed and just couldn’t stop on my own. I’d get 3 days under my belt and the madness would start again, I isolated, I made excuses and couldn’t accept my way doesn’t work. I held onto wanting to control parts of my recovery I.e. “I don’t want to follow the advice I am getting, I want to do it my way....that part is not relevant to me so I’ll do that bit my way”. My way clearly didn’t work otherwise I would be able to stay sober. I had to surrender and accept this before I could make any real changes.

Instead of blowing my money going travelling I went into rehab for 60 days in Thailand. At times I resisted treatment, got angry, sulked and whined that I wanted to do some of it but the rest I knew better what was right for me which was the same stinking thinking that kept me a drunk. Eventually I embraced it, let go and engaged with the programme. I am now 80 days sober and everything is different, Life is not full of rainbows and unicorns but I can deal with it, I have tools to help me cope. Best thing I ever did for myself!

Best of luck with whatever you decide xx