View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
whatsgoingon

Originally Posted by Purpleman View Post
Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket here, but I find these kinds of posts judgemental & disrespectful. Our decision to be alcohol free doesn't make us better than others. We don't suddenly become cool kids, or part of any special club. It wasn't all that long ago that we were those people that we're now so quick to jump up on our highhorses & judge.
The only side of the street we need to keep clean is our own.
My memory of being surrounded by people drinking was a stark reminder of why I gave up and why I did not want to go back. Seeing good friends drinking to excess and embarrassing themselves was really worrying and it made me feel quite vulnerable.

I would never pre judge or mock another person with a drinking problem. With my track record I firstly have no right to and more importantly recovering alcoholics should know better than anyone how hard the road to change can be.

It sometimes bothers me that even on this forum there is occasionally a lack of understanding. I’ve had drinking problems for 20 years and I’ve tried and failed on numerous occasions to quit. I sometime feels like I’m getting beat up on here because I’m not listening to people’s advice but the fact is I’m an addict and I’m struggling with this stuff. I find it difficult to keep on track. Alcohol is a drug that is just as bad as cocaine and cigarettes. Society in general has unfortunately has not accepted this fact which is why we all constantly bombarded with conflicting information about alcohol. If I gave up smoking people would be so pleased for me and would accept I’ve done the right thing. You give up booze and people think you are crazy. The government is quick to outlaw recreational drugs and put warnings on cigarette packets but they won’t take the same stance with alcohol? Why not?! There are more deaths and illnesses related to alcohol than any other drug yet it is still deemed safe to consume?! Absolute nonsense.

Apologies for going off on one, I’m currently at day three and feeling slightly edgy!