Thread: New here...
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DreamCatcher17

Welcome!

That new mindset helped me a lot as well!

My past 2 attempts at sobriety was for someone else and that someone else was also an enabler who told me I just needed to control my drinking, that I could drink if I did just that. So, I tried moderation.... HA. That worked here and there but for the most part, I was still a blackout artist being a complete A-hole to everyone in my path.
Once I came to the conclusion that I am in fact an alcoholic and the relationship I have with alcohol is toxic along with accepting the fact that I can not drink, everything changed.
It is like a switch just went off in my brain, no booze, no alcohol. I have not looked back since and that was 11 months ago.
The first 3 months I was in a brain fog, lazy, mood swings, depressed and full blown anxiety.
Once those 3 months past, I would feel better and better as every day passed.

I am now out of the brain fog, I have energy, I work out, read, and have lost a good amount of weight (over 30 pounds), I am more active with my son and I am more focused at work.

I go to AA meetings to be around other people who are like me, an alcoholic and understand what I am going through. They are my biggest support system as I only have like 4 other people in my life out of AA and none of them live near me.
I go to therapy, I started at once a week and am down to every other week. I found this to be the most helpful for me as I was able to uncover some childhood trauma and move past that.
I come here to SR and read the newcomers post, the relapse stories and the people who have what I want.. The year and above stories.
I removed all toxic people from my life, including a 12-year relationship, bought my first house at 8 months sober, I don't think about drinking and honestly through this journey I have only thought of a drink 3 maybe 4 times and those thoughts were smashed really quick knowing what I could lose if I ever choose to pick up another drink as it is always the first one that gets me drunk.

I wish you the best and I Hope you have a solid plan of recovery

Blessings,
DC