View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
maia1234

Awal,
I think down deep you had an idea, as you posted on this sober recovery forum. It's ok to finally figure out what has been going on in your house over the last few years. I remember going to my first alanon meeting after being with my addict for almost 20 years and I was just "shocked" that he was "actually" an alcoholic.

So the question is, what are you going to do with this information? The answer is nothing, for right now. They say in alanon that they don't recommend you to do anything "drastic" for at least six months, so you can take some time to process what is going on. You don't need to leave him, threaten him, try and get him into rehab. Co-dependents recovery is about us, not them. (something you will learn)

The next thing you need to do is educate yourself about this disease. As Dandy said, read the stickies and realize that your husband is no special snowflake, he is no different then any of the other addicts out there. In fact you will read the stickies and go he did that , and he did that, and he did that.... Try and reach out to an alanon meeting or an open aa meeting or maybe an addiction therapist for some face to face support. There is so much that you can learn to help you, and make your life a little better.

Take a deep breath, do your homework and just take it all in. You will be ok, my friend.