Thread: Need Support
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Horn,
sorry to hear you are in a rough spot. I see yoy talked to your sponsor and it helped ofr an hour. That's interesting. I am assuming this is an AA sponsor and you have undertaken to carry out the 12 step program of action. The basic premise of that is that no human power,which includes your sponsor, can keep you sober, so I am not surprised your talk had only a temporary benefit.

There seem to be two ways of dealing with alcoholism. Treat the cause would be one. In your position my sponsor would have had me out working with others. That is the most effective strategy AA has for how you have been feeling. That would be in conjunction with working the steps. It took me three months to get into step 9, and big things happened. The cause was treated, the problem went away.

Option two is to treat the symptoms. Discomfort, anxiety etc can be symtoms of the cause being untreated. The way I used to treat the symptoms was to drink. Get that sense of ease and comfort. When the drink was not available, due to a personal reclutance to take other mind altering chemicals, I just got more and more miserable until I drank again. Eventually I found there was no escape from the misery drunk or sober, and that was when I became willing to treat the cause.

Let me try another analogy. I am lying in bed with a broken leg. It is very painful. I know the long term solution is to have a doctor set the leg and put it in plaster so it can heal, but that looks even more painful, so instead of treating the problem, I elect to treat the symptom and swallow some pain killers.

The next day the problem is still there. Still have the broken leg, still unable to function, still frightened of the pain of treatment, so I will take the edge off with some more painkillers. And the next day, still no closer to a solution. It is never going to get better until I am willing to accept the pain that goes with the treatment, I may even die from complications.