View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I do think that many meds are overprescribed. My sister took Klonopin for about 15 years for mild anxiety. Klonopin is a benzo meant for short-term use, and long term use causes a bunch of other health problems. Long term use of benzos also results in more frequent and intense bouts of depression. She started drinking heavily about 7 years ago and she died of cirrhosis 3 months ago. There is no doubt that her long term use of this med contributed to her demise.

I think that meds can and do benefit people who need them, so I'm not knocking meds before anyone gets all worked up about what I'm saying here. I've taken a host of meds throughout my life. Some were helpful and some were harmful. Some helped me through times when I couldn't have possibly gotten a grip. Some actually contributed to worsening my symptoms of depression and anxiety.

I have had debilitating depression. I do know what it's like. I attempted suicide, so I know first hand what the deep dark hole feels like. There are no words to describe it. That said, I still think that meds are way overprescribed and prescribed at the drop of the hat before ever trying things like changes in diet, exercise, sleep, talk therapy, meditation...or requiring that drug treatment be in conjunction with those changes. I also feel strongly that doctors need to dig deeper into whether their patients are using alcohol with these meds, because mixing them, at the very least renders treatment ineffective and at the worse, it can kill.