View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Buckley3

I'll weigh in. I'm glad you brought up the topic. I think it's an important one.

I don't think this is a 'this or that' type of argument. Certainly not black and white... and I don't feel like that's really how you intended it.

Certainly, meds help some. But just as certain, there is a reality that needs to be faced when sobering up. I mean, it's the very argument behind the idea of a 'dry drunk.' And it's completely possible for people - any of us really - to replace one means of medicating and avoiding our **** with another. Plenty of people get sober but never really get well.

More people, I suspect, get sober, see what's all around them, and just give up. The damage addiction does - well, I don't need to preach to the choir here we've all experienced it.

I'm learning to be wary of black and white thinking. I can not say for certain what is best for another person. But out of respect for people I will not shy away from being unpopular or controversial if I suspect they are not dealing with what needs dealt with.

I'd rather risk being a touch controversial than die knowing I never took a stand for what I believed was good or potentially helpful... even if it does cause short term discomfort.

It's a fine line. But some levels of anxiety and depression exist because of circumstances that need to be dealt with. Not all forms of anxiety and depression are simply brain chemistry that can be cured with a pill.

-B