View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Atlast9999

My personal experience has not included medication but I don’t begrudge anyone for using meds. In my field, I have seen many changes in the “wiring” of children’s brains (I work with the pediatric population). Over the course of 12 years, I have worked with more and more young children with ADHD, OCD, Anxiety, Autism, etc. There is a significant rise in these types of frontal lobe disorders. Obviously, this begins the nature vs nurture debate but that’s a topic for a different day....

I have witnessed the huge changes that occur for these children once they are properly medicated. Often times, these kids are super smart but their own brains get in the way and they can’t show us what they can really do until they get the meds.

The reason I bring this up is that often times, these kids become our “at risk” population in middle school and high school because they discover alcohol and/or drugs and use them to self medicate.

It makes sense to me that many, not all, alcoholics have underlying issues that respond to medication.

Just my two cents.