View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

I'll share my experience for whatever it may be worth...

I feel that (and this is supported by much of what I've read, by my therapist and by a psychiatrist I used to see who is now retired) my years of addictive behavior, alcohol and drug use actually altered my mind permanently.

In sobriety, I went four years trying everything to combat my general depression - which got worse seasonally.

Finally, at the suggestion of my therapist and my doctor, I tried a seasonal SSRI. It worked so well, I stayed on it year round.

I'd avoided it for years - partly due to stigma, partly due to a weighty sense that I 'shouldn't' and partly because I've actually seen people shamed in recovery for being on a medication... being told their not 'really' sober.

There is a difference - in my experience - between medication and substance abuse. I gave it my all - with exercise, therapy, recovery support, diet changes, light therapy, meditation.... the works. The bottom line, for me, was I have had a level of depression - perhaps all of my life - that has been a factor in my drug and alcohol use and which has in concert with my drug and alcohol abuse probably permanently altered my mind.

Because of that alteration - a medication that supports my functioning in a healthy, productive way has been a blessing.

Being on a low dose SSRI has helped me deepen my sobriety and more fully value and participate in my life.

That's just my experience.