View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Andante

Originally Posted by cotwo View Post
This is what i was trying to get at. In this thread so far, there has been zero insults directed at another user, and nobody is claiming to know anything about anybody's reality. Its an open discussion about big pharma on individual experiences. Probably not allowed, i don't know, but that makes it an open discussion.

If this thread would just flow, and not end up being moderated, you would have the same amount of people that recovered with meds as in people who didn't

Your liver does not know the difference between recreational, and prescription. Sobriety to ME, means no chemical mind altering substances in my body, no matter what.
Actually, the tone of the opening post itself is a bit insulting, as it berates and scorns all users of anti-depressants as not "facing reality." That is not the same thing as "sharing experience."

The problem I have with your last statement is that not all brains are created equal, and merely abstaining from all "chemical mind-altering substances" will not put everyone on an equal playing field. Some folks need a little help because their brains aren't functioning right, just as other folks need heart medication because their hearts aren't functioning right. When people take prescribed drugs with the goal of correcting an inherent chemical imbalance and enabling a baseline level of functionality that could not otherwise be achieved, I'm not sure how you can label them as "not sober."

Following this line of thinking to its logical conclusion, no mental illness -- no matter how severe -- should be treated with drugs because their mind-altering qualities means that the person isn't "facing reality."