View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Thank you for these words. Reading your post made me tear up. I want to believe that. I want to have a healthy self esteem. I want to not feel the need to be perfect or feel disgusting and worthless if I can't achieve that. I hope I can get to where you are. I keep thinking that it is bound to happen for me too.
As to perfectionism, I find the late Ernie Kurtz' book, written with his colleague Catherine Ketchem, most helpful. It is titled "The Spirituality of Imperfection" and persuasively argues against perfectionism. Kipling, the writer, agreed with that and expressed that in his poem, "If". One learns from faults, mistakes, even failure. Losing everything on "one game of pitch and toss" Beginning again, with "worn out tools". My mother was a perfectionist and discouraged me from writing a book because it might contain a misprint. Books are very intelligent! Every book I have published has thoughtfully fallen open to reveal one of the very few misprints in the entire volume. Thanks so much, Book, for teaching your author humility!
I have seen doctors, lawyers make mistakes. That is the way they learn. I have made many mistakes. In the end they helped me along the way,.

Bill