View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Thank you Bill, your friendship means so much to me and your words do help to ease the depression. Those are not just words on a page, I really mean that. I feel very fortunate that I do not suffer a more debilitating form of depression that keeps me in bed all day. Mine is more of a lack of joy. The good news is I have not given up hope and am willing to do or try anything and everything to get better in all aspects of my life, obviously, primarily, my alcoholism and depression. The sheer amount of effort it takes is exhausting at times, but I nearly always feel that it is worth it.

I remember you telling me about your sister and her fascinating dissertation but I did not know of your collection of first edition works. What a lovely tribute and a really nice thing to have. Do you pull them out much to read? Or just admire them on a bookshelf? You've talked of sitting on your porch reading with your trusty friend Boswell on your lap, that must be very relaxing!

I don't think I have told you this story, but you know I do English lessons. I once had a group of three high schoolers that I worked with. Throughout the school year we worked on many different English literature works including your favorite "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard!" I have a funny picture somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up, of the page with "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by Woodsworth. The student had written so many notes trying to understand the English that you could barely see the actual poem!

Thank you again Bill for taking the time to care and post. I am headed off to bed soon after a long day of intense hiking. I hiked this wonderful trail (though very steep and rocky and scary) that leads to this little refuge in the words where you can eat. They were all out of pasta by the time I arrived but made me a nice sandwich with prosciutto and cheese and tomatoes. No mayonnaise or sauces here just bread and meat and cheese. Fortunately they were not out of desserts and I ordered TWO! The cheesecake and a chocolate cake. With an espresso. Then back down the hill. I'm tired now, but happy. I hope you have a nice Sunday, enjoy your evening.