View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
aliciagr

Originally Posted by ManyPaths View Post
Maudcat asked about CRAFT. I co-led a family group at an outpatient program, incorporating CRAFT approaches. A main focus is helping family members use positive communication strategies and positive reinforcement (when appropriate) with loved ones with substance use disorders.

It's a great approach and yields good results - numerous randomized controlled trials showed it to be far more effective than traditional interventions at getting people to enter treatment. A great recent book about CRAFT and other family approaches is Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's by psychologists who founded Ctr for Motivation and Change, an excellent treatment program in NYC w/rehab in Berkshires. Their website has lots of succinct info about CRAFT. ManyPaths

I did read this book ! It was recommended by my therapist and it was talked about in the family sessions. I remember it talked about the process of change, lots of things on communication, and also self care. I feel it was a more family oriented approach. The therapy sessions really helped me.

Do you know if there are online support / forums similar to the design here, where family members can share and learn?

Thanks for posting, and would be interested in hearing more about your own journey.