View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Wamama48

Yes, that guy was out there. He's probably still floating around in space lol Thanks, Ill do some research.
Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
If you do a google search on: treatment for substance use disorder then it should pop up with the current medical guidelines for treatment. The medical community has reached a consensus on best practices. It goes over things like early treatment, evidence based treatments, family therapy, support of family. Which I think is tied back to what maudcat has been talking about in this thread and another recent one. As a family member how do we handle all this ?

I don't know if its a program per say, but more like concepts of how does the family member navigate, find support, deal with emotions, and yes even support our partner just as we would if this was another medical illness like cancer, MS, depression. My guess is there are programs / support systems for family members being built around this premise.

I didn't use a program, just therapy. Did individual and family therapy and got hooked up with the addiction doctors through the local medical center in the state we used to live in. I do know its important to check credentials of therapists and to see what their own knowledge base consists of. Sounds like you met a whacky one recently so you already know they are not all alike!