View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
lessgravity

I think what's most important for me was to realize that drinking gave me nothing, took away so much and was poised to take away most of everything that I value in my life. That realization, deep within me and now in my actions, is what drives my sobriety.

But I tend to agree with DD here. There is not one solution. I believe that no one is coming to save me. All the time I spend on this website, and the time that others spend in meetings, at the end of the day when I log off or when an AA'er drives home, there we are, once again, alone with ourselves. To me the combination of the realization as I described it above and me dwelling on the fact that for some reason all these years I felt like something was going to change on its own, that someone was coming to save me, but is not, are the important factors for me.

The tools I use are nutrition, a committed and progresive exercise program, Transcendental Meditation (which I was lucky enough to learn years ago) , and self-improvement - therapy and reading authors like the Jungian analyst James Hollis. Even the controversial Jordan Peterson certainly helped me a lot in my early stages of this run at sobriety.

Obviously no size fits all. I'm just laying out some of what works for me in case someone reads this and can use some of the same methods and approaches. Here's to sobriety friends. Finally.