View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 11:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Wamama48

Aliciagr, what program is this? Is it only offered in certain places?

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
I haven't read this book but I do know there is a drastic difference in the 12 step approach to addiction/recovery vs. other methods per the experience of our family. Recovery programs seemed to begin with what was already in existence - the 12 step approach. Rehabs came about as a way to house people and walk them through the 12 step program then release them back to the 12 step community.

When my husband first went into rehab, one picked out by his mom. It was based on the 12 step. Their philosophy was based solely on this, ideas were based solely on this. I was written off as a codependent and needed my own recovery. I was not to be part of his treatment because I couldn't understand etc.

Move forward to a time when he left that rehab and found treatment that was evidence based and not focused on 12 step. Totally different. It was about motivation, family oriented, cognitive behavioral therapies, medical approaches, no labels, no concepts that revolved around this is an addict, and this is what you are. Nope it was an individual approach where he was looked at and his specific needs were met. I was a participant in the recovery process. we did joint therapy. I was no longer called a codependent, but instead was called a wife who loved her husband and who didn't know how to handle the situation and had endured stress, trauma, and needed counseling to deal with my emotions. And we needed to work together to rebuild our marriage because family is the strongest support system if its healthy.

Big difference. Treatments and methods are advancing and becoming more successful in my opinion as new approaches are taken and tailored to the specific patient and family.

I do know a lot of rehabs now offer alternatives to 12 step, or make them optional part of the program which is based on more therapeutic approaches. I think its what is recommended by the medical community these days .