View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
hellrzr
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by KarltheheretiK View Post
Making someone restart their sobriety date because of one pill of something they never had an issue with is pure BS. You really didn't say whether it was for recreation or for pain, so that makes a bit of difference, too. I also take exception to this concept of having to string together consecutive days as a measure of your sobriety. If you've been off alcohol for an extended period of time (counted in years) and you have a drink or two, that's nothing to be ashamed of. Now, if you completely fall off the wagon and go back to full-blown drinking, that's a problem. Every person should know their limitations. But nobody should shame another person for one moment of indiscretion. And I wonder how much of this situation was a matter of a bunch of folks dragging that girl down to make themselves feel better.
There's a lot to discuss with your mindset on this issue but I have a simple question. How does one go back to "full-blown drinking" after years of sobriety? The answer is one drink. Falling off the wagon always starts with one drink or one pill or one of anything that you are using to deal with life because you don't know a better way how to.

If I thought I could have a "drink or two" when I wanted than I wouldn't have strung together enough days to reach 6 years of sobriety tomorrow. I'm sure happy I have the AA mindset and not your mindset or I would have never seen a week sober. I'm also very lucky to have had a sponsor who would never let me get away with "a moment of indiscretion" because if he had I would possibly be dead or in jail today. Instead I have a family and a good job and a generally happy life.