View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
matrac

Fearless and Alice,
Thanks so much for your kind words and support.

My son is 19. He’s had challenges all throughout his school years. It was so hard and I remember days when no one had answers (doctors, therapists, teachers, family members, clergy) and when I had been at the school for the 2nd or 3rd time in one day and finally asked to take him home....that was the loneliest and scariest time as a parent ever.. That’s when my drinking started to become a problem. Once he got to middle school and then high school, my drinking got me through the day (or so I thought).

Maybe a note of encouragement for you....I worried (still do) about my son’s future, but he has surprised me many times. He has had successes. I never thought he’d even drive a car. He finished his first year of college last May, he drives, and he has a summer job (3rd summer with a job). Best of all he’s a very genuine and kind hearted person.

It’s just that when he’s unstable, it all just stops. He’s so miserable and angry and it’s just scary. It wouldn’t take much for a disasterous outcome. There’s been a lot of trauma for all of us. I’m not sure my drinking made things worse for him, but it never helped anything either. Once I would sober up, reality was still there and I was hung over too.

Can’t blame my drinking all on my son’s problems. I drank in good times too. Important to realize that. Anyway, glad to be sober even in these tough times.

Looking forward to better days and to giving back the support I have been given.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart