View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bmur1489

I can't believe how many people have already responded to my post. I am SO GRATEFUL for the advice. I should have stated my entire history in the original post, but I already wrote a huge amount and wanted to get to my main concerns. I attended NA about 3 months ago for the 1st time. I went 4X per week for about a month. I also had a sponsor for that time and I was trying to make an effort. However, my sponsor was 22, and I am 29, so I was hesitant. But, he had been clean for 5 years so I thought that the only important qualifier was his clean time. He meant well and wanted to help, but I think he was just too busy with work, school, his personal relationships and also the fact that he had 2 other sponsees. I tried to make it work by calling him whenever I had an issue as well as every other day to keep in touch. But, he didn't respond 3 or 4 times, and didn't get back ti me until I saw him at meetings several days later. Also, we didn't do any step work. I brought it up a couple of times but he would basically tell me to finish reading the Basic Text first. I understand that it's important to read the Basic Text, but given that I needed some sort of help, I wanted to get started on the steps. So, I ended up leaving. Also, the whole group would always hang out and were really close, and I felt uncomfortable with it. I don't like attention or going out to socialize, so I had a hard time becoming one of the group. Also, I was, and still am, going to a methadone clinic, so that made me feel like I shouldn't be going or sharing. Finally, I had a hard time with the concept of getting clean and being abstinent first and then starting the steps after I had some clean time. It's not that easy for me to just quit. That was the whole reason that I was seeking something like NA in the first place. I need something other than will power to get clean. Also, I should mention that there aren't that many NA meetings in my area so if I go to another one, it might be far away. I don't think I can go back to that particular meeting. If I'm writing too much please let me know. Thanks again for all of the help.