View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

After sobering up I realized that although my job was easy, high-paying, and somewhat prestigious in my field it was also mentally draining on me every. single. day.

I put plans into motion to make a change. It took about 3 years of nights and weekends, but last year I cut the chord on the old paycheck and now I work for myself full time. I work twice as many hours for half the money, but I LOVE IT. (That 'half the money' part is probably only temporary. I expect to surpass my previous income before the end of 2019.)

Looking back I have one regret: I didn't need to actively hate my old career as much as I did by the end. I bore-sighted on the things I hated about it instead of the things about it that were good. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have made the change. It just means it could have been done from a place (mentally) of compassion and abundance. I was choosing to hate my old job. I could have chosen otherwise and been happier while I was making the change. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

Congrats on your new found freedom from alcohol!