View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
A therapist in rehab told me that smoking while cutting off drinking was still being in addiction. He called it cross addiction and said that cigarettes were as addictive as crack cocaine. I have never tried crack but the therapist had, he was a recovered addict, he had tried pretty much everything. I don't worry about smoking right now, it helps me to stay off alcohol, but I only smoke 2-3 a day and allow myself that. They are very strong cigarettes though, even to have half a one gives me a buzz. Patch or vaping did nothing for me. But we are all different and every doctor will tell you to quit smoking.
True, nicotine is fiercely addictive, but the consequences for smoking are more health related and socially acceptable. Nobody lost a drivers license to smoking, and rarely a job or a partner.

I also became a sugar addict in early recovery.

Both things were far easier to attack one at a time and give up than was my drug(s) of choice.

I know people who have managed to stop both habits at the same time, and one person that stayed sober after that attempt. Most that I've known through my sober journey have failed when they've tried to quit too early.

It is possible, but from my experience, I wouldn't recommend it. Just too freaking hard, and when the two addictions are coupled, it's too easy to get a case of the eff-its if you lose the cigarette battle.

Again, I did both, but not at the same time.