View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hawking22

I thoroughly enjoy doing 12 step work on my own; I like learning and digesting things my own way. Plus, it is a spiritual journey, and if you're arrested with a lot of guilt, remorse and shame it can be a helpful start to start processing the "powerlessness", "Unmanageability" and "surrender" in your own right.

However, that being said, I've been a chronic relapser since I started attempting to get sober 2 years ago. Everyone absolutely recommends and attests to walking through the steps with a sponsor and I intend to as well. I found finding the right sponsor very difficult and didn't take the patience to listen to anyone's suggestions, and plan to change that this time around. I think a combination of the two would be your best bet.

Socially awkward or not, just going to the meetings is huge! Listening to people's shares and realizing how us strangers are your connected family is the most beautiful gift. Don't feel pressured to hang out and have to go to outings, just be as present as you'd like to be at the meetings. "Take what you need, and leave the rest", really helped me when I first started out.

If you're interested, maybe we can help each other with step work? I would love an additional accountability partner and to get out of my head.