View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

I quit smoking in 2009 a year to the day after my father died of lung cancer. It was a 20+ year pack a day habit, more on heavy drinking days. It was a bear to quit, but I did it with Chantix. Got sober May 9 2017, and picked up smoking a few days later when I was in inpatient rehab, immediately back to that pack a day habit.

I decided not to worry about it, nor my weight. One thing at a time. In August I started outpatient. They STRONGLY advised against quitting smoking in early sobriety, it's a HUGE trigger to relapse on your DOC. A few weeks into outpatient (8 weeks total program) I ran out of cigs one morning and decided to get another pack later. Well, later just never came. I also started dieting and the gym that week, and managed to lose 50 pounds and build a nice amount of muscle. I think that quitting rather easily partially stemmed from my being on Wellbutrin for depression issues, which has been used as a smoking cessation aid. Anyway, by waiting, I was able to quit smoking, start an exercise program, lose weight and get back the body that I wanted. This was about 120 days sober, and I had really strong support at the time in the form of daily outpatient therapy, including CBT groups, individual psychodynamic therapy and a psychiatrist for medical/mental health issues (my IOP was dual diagnosis).

Please take it easy on yourself. As you've always relapsed on alcohol when you've tried to quit smoking too early in your sobriety, you've already answered your own question. Your first and only priority at this point in your life is your sobriety, there is no reason to risk it with any additional stress, particularly one that has always triggered drinking in the past!