View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wireman

Tired of the cycle

My wife is an alcoholic, who when she is in detox or rehab will admit she has a problem. That bit of clarity lasts from the time she walks out of the facility until she can get more alcohol. This period usually lasts less than 24 hours. This has happened through several hospitalizations for detox and issues caused by alcohol in addition to two trips to rehab.

On one detox trip she was told she had a fatty liver and needed to quit, She promised the doctor she would stop drinking. Two weeks later we were taking her back to the ER for very low blood pressure and hitting head on the door frame. Once again more promises in the hospital and then right back to drinking.

She can't account for her spending on alcohol or how much she drinks at a time. I have estimated that she is spending at least $450 per month on alcohol. She claims she does not remember buying any alcohol even when we find full bottles hidden and empties every where.

This year has been rough on our 14YO with seeing her in the hospital and two trips to rehab. The stress has caused him to lose weight partially because she cuts him down when she is drunk and in an effort to please her he does not eat properly or forces himself to vomit. It has had a negative impact on his grades and caused discipline issues at school.

At present she is doing another detox trip but I do not think it is enough. I think she has learned to tell the staff of these facilities what they want to hear but she has no plan to follow through. recovery should be more than parroting the answers so you can get out of a facility.

Are there any programs that do not "teach the test", so to speak?

What other options besides AA are available for the alcoholic? While I know every person is different regarding how far they have to go to hit rock bottom and some people die before they find the bottom.