View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MantaLady
Ocean Lover!

There is so much controversial opinion from the experts on quitting smoking as well as a drug of choice at the same time. Some say that you should do both as smoking just keeps the addictive behaviour and thinking neuropathways alive in the brain and others say tackle one thing at a time. For me I got 26 days sober earlier on this year, gave up smoking after 30 years of 20 a day and within 4 days I had replapsed back to drinking. I cannot say it was due to trying to do to much at once but I do feel it was a contributing factor amongst other things that were piling up unmanaged in my life.

I was white knuckling my recovery, not really following a plan, not going to AA meetings, not really changing anything other than I was just not drinking, if I was following a programme and sticking to it tackling all the stinking thinking that comes along with being an alcoholic maybe I would have been more successful, but white knuckling and laying another thing to give up on top of that took me straight back to the gutter.

I am 61 days sober today and really really want to stop smoking now, my breathing is terrible, I am so unfit with it, I am not enjoying it at all but I am really worried that it will be risking my sobriety. I am 2 weeks out of a 2 months rehab and following a well thought out recovery plan, using tools I learned to process emotions, exercising and doing a lot of self-care, going to meetings this time. I am very torn on what to do, but for now one thing I do know is that my sobriety from alcohol has to come first, anything that puts that in danger is a no-no for me right now. Not sure I have been much help here to be honest but I do understand xx