View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bexxed

Hey, I get it. I couldn’t go in this town for reasons that are similar. But I came here, and joined the class, and checked in constantly. I read a lot of sobriety books, and started focusing on my spiritual health. I read the big book. I did things that worked for me.

With all respect to what is behind what others are saying here, sometimes there is more to the story and - anonymity is important or it wouldn’t be in the name of the org. If the guy has issues with that, and OP says he does, it’s logical to go there.

If you don’t have other options, you may want to consider mitigating the possible damage as some here have suggested, but you can find another way. Your plan is yours.

I’m two years sober, and didn’t use AA. Explaining the exact details of why here would actually kind of blow my anonymity here so I can’t in a public forum. I almost went a few times while traveling for work early on, but it didn’t feel right to drop in as a tourist. Another time when I tried (ultimately unsuccessfully) to get sober, on my first day this woman started yelling at me after the meeting. Sometimes people think they are just talking straight, and assume things that are flat wrong about you. And that can scare a person away.

I was helping an addict IRL recently. Called a male friend in NA to get this addict hooked up with a female NA member to get her in to a meeting. He said, I have the perfect person, she’s actually my vet! Yeah, I guess he forgot that he was the one who told me to use her as my vet. She was pretty upset to have her anonymity blown to a client. Then, later, he went on to tell me the details of how she (our vet) ended up an addict. I’m a trustworthy non-judgmental person obviously, but that’s just not cool. It’s what happens sometimes though and I don’t blame you for being worried. I’m sure you have your reasons.

As long as you get yourself a plan and work it. This site has lots of resources for that. There was a link floating around recently that is very good. You could post asking others for ideas. People have lots of resources and that’s what makes this site so great.