Thread: Back Again
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SportPilot
If I had a dime for every time I made a mistake, I would be sitting on a big pile of dimes.

Other programs

LoneWolf

I have seen other programs, but have not tried any as of yet, there are none really in my vicinity other than AA. I have been listening to an audio book, called "The Naked Mind" it is about alcohol and addiction. I find it really helpful. It just explains what alcohol is and what it does, and how we are duped into believing it is something that is healthy and okay to do. (in moderation). This is only day two of my journey was feeling really anxious, got into my counselor who is very good and just talked through some stuff. I then rode stationary bike and I feel great.

I did run across a great analogy of a Captain on a ship who is relying on his navigation, which is equated to our emotions and our bodies giving us signals. She was saying what if the Captain was in place that he could not see land, was in open water, and was relying strictly on navigation. As long as he has his navigation he stays on course and everything is fine. Suddenly an alarm light comes on that says that his instrumentation had a low battery, and was going to stop working. He could change the battery, and keep on navigating, which is the root cause of the problem or he could just remove the light and then the alarm would no longer be there. The problem is still there, but he just removed the indicator. That is what many of us do with alcohol. We have a bad day, we are stressed, we are in pain emotionally or whatever the signal may be. Instead of dealing with what is really going on we "remove the indicator" with alcohol, while that stops the alarm, we are still going to wreck. I found that helpful. She also had one about bugs and a pitcher plant. Some very helpful analogies, considering I am a pilot for a hobby, it rang true with me.

I am only on day two, but I am quickly searching for things to do with the time that I would be drinking. Such as writing, learning guitar, exercising or anything that occupies my mind and body. Replacing the negative behavior with positive ones helps me.

Like I said only at day two, but I hope this helps a little bit.

I am glad you are here. I am glad I am here, and I am thankful for the two days without drinking.

Sounds like you are at the cusp where I am, we can do this.