Thread: Back Again
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SportPilot
If I had a dime for every time I made a mistake, I would be sitting on a big pile of dimes.

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
Hi SportPilot,

Glad you are here seeking support from this community. It sounds like you are cognizant of your shortcomings in remaining sober and are self-aware enough to not let excuses of stress and anxiety (regardless of how legitimate they are) cloud the reality: you are an alcoholic, and alcoholics drink for any reason or no reason at all.

I can appreciate that perhaps AA isn't for you. I found tremendous support in AA myself, but it took a while for me to warm up to it and to find a group that I felt comfortable with. It's fine if it's not for you, but remember that it's not AA or nothing. Whatever form it takes, know that you need a program of recovery to stay sober.

I urge you to challenge yourself and the invisible limits you've set for yourself when it comes to recovery. For example, for years I swore off AA or any kind of therapy because that would mean admitting I was an alcoholic in front of others. I didn't even want to admit it to myself; how could I say it in a semi-public place, even if it's supposedly anonymous?! Well, I eventually got desperate enough to push through that boundary, and I'm so glad I did.

It sounds like you're teetering at the brink right now. You know you need to do something, but you also know there are things you're not willing to do. I had to chase my sobriety just as vigorously and relentlessly as I did the next drink while I was active in alcoholism, or I wouldn't stand a chance. For example, I was embarrassed as heck the first time I showed up at an AA meeting. I was also petrified of seeing someone I knew. Now I shift my thought process to this: there were plenty of times I was afraid I'd see someone I knew on the street while carrying a bottle of vodka back to my apartment, but did that stop me? Nope.

Open yourself to uncomfortable situations!!
Awesome and very encouraging. Thank you so much.