View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

I was extremely ill when I quit drinking at 39. I turned 42 yesterday with 2 and a half yrs sober.

I could pinpoint specifics or times when things got better, or somehow changed or elaborate on the gradually smoothing out of the roller coaster that was my life drunk.

Instead, like AA suggests when sharing our experience, strength and hope- I'm going to be specific about that last one.

The hope part is m answer to YES it all gets better. Better meaning... clearer, as far as everything from making good choices to seeing reality as it actually is. Meaning easier because I am honest and knowing right from wrong isn't skewed. Joyful because I don't suffer from the shame, regret and other terrible consequences from my behavior and poor choices.

Physically, I am beyond fortunate that I not only didn't die, but until a back injury three months ago had gotten into e best health and shape of my life. Coming back from that is something I only get to do because I got sober in the first place.

Emotionally I can have good relationships and deserve them. Spiritually, I know that my higher power is he reason I am here and have the life I do now.

Easier because it is a REAL life, better because whatever happens now, I can deal with it- and have others who love me to help me, and vice versa. I could keep going about recovery being he best backdrop of a life I could ever want, but I hope it's obvious.